Remember to claim your Union fees on your tax return- statements of the fees you have paid will be sent out early in the new financial year. If you have dues owing, now is the time to catch up with your payments so you can also claim this amount on your tax return. Those receiving invoices should get one later this month, just in time to get your dues in before the EOFY.

It’s also a good time to let your colleagues who haven’t got around to joining know about these tax savings. Make sure they’re aware that they can claim their fees on their tax return and if fees are paid upfront before June 30, the full amount can be claimed in the 2013-14 return. Don’t keep it secret – let others know that you can get all the benefits of Union membership and claim your fees on your return.