The Victorian Allied Health Professionals Association (VAHPA) is an industry-based Union for Allied Health Professionals working in Victoria in the Public, Community and Private sectors. VAHPA is an autonomous branch (Victoria No. 3) of the Health Services Union.
VAHPA is a democratic community of Allied Health Professionals. We are a political organisation. We work together to ensure that Allied Health jobs are good jobs and that the care we deliver is the best it can be. We stand for fairness, equality and for an end to discrimination. We understand that social structures have a profound impact on poverty and wealth. We recognise the significance of class-consciousness. We strive to end all forms of exploitation. Solidarity makes us strong. We are Union. We are VAHPA.
This role focuses on the timely and accurate provision of advice and information in relation to workplace rights, the application of Enterprise Agreements, Awards and other assorted legal instruments including the Fair Work Act (2009). While the majority of this work is performed over the phone from the VAHPA office, it does involve some direct advocacy for Members at worksites. The Member Assist Organiser also plays a role in identifying and exploring potential collective issues at workplaces.
Reports to: Industrial Officer (Member Assist Lead).
Key Selection Criteria
- Commitment to the vision, values and objectives of VAHPA and the ability to promote those values and objectives;
- Commitment to the principles of social justice;
- An understanding of and a commitment to the principles of organising;
- The ability to effectively engage and empower members, delegates and activists;
- Planning and organising skills, including the ability to develop, implement and evaluate Member Assist strategies;
- High-level written and verbal communication skills, including the ability to provide appropriate and adequate advice to members on grievances and undertake negotiations on behalf of members;
- Demonstrated ability to work within a team environment and to work unsupervised;
- The ability to understand, interpret and analyse awards, enterprise agreements, legislation and other relevant documentation;
- An understanding of contemporary industrial relations issues;
- Computer skills relevant to the position;
- A current Victorian (or equivalent) driver licence; and
- Eligibility to hold a Right of Entry Permit in accordance with the Fair Work Act 2009 or subsequent legislation.
Desirable Selection Criteria
- Experience working in the health sector;
- Experience in providing training for members and staff;
- Experience in enterprise bargaining negotiations and / or appearing in relevant industrial tribunals.
To download the position description, please click HERE .
For further information, please contact Craig McGregor on 0447 548 990 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org .
How to apply for this job
Applicants must address the Key Selection Criteria in their application.
Applications should be submitted by COB Tuesday 08 May 2018 via email to email@example.com, using the subject line: Member Assist Organiser.
Alternatively, applications can be mailed to Recruitment, VAHPA, PO BOX 13286, Law Courts, VIC, 8010
VAHPA IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER.