The Organisation: The Victorian Allied Health Professionals Association (VAHPA) is an industry-based Union for Allied Health Professionals working in Victoria in the Public, Community and Private sectors. VAHPA is an autonomous branch (Victoria No. 3) of the Health Services Union.
Position Objective: The Member Assist Organiser is typically the first point of contact for VAHPA Members and prospective members. This role focuses on the timely and accurate provision of advice and information in relation to workplace rights, the application of Enterprise Agreements, Awards and other assorted legal instruments including the Fair Work Act (2009). While the majority of this work is performed over the phone from the VAHPA office, it does involve some direct advocacy for Members at worksites. The Member Assist Organiser also plays a role in identifying and exploring potential collective issues at workplaces.
Reports to: Senior Member Assist Officer and Industrial Officer (Member Assist).
Essential Selection Criteria
- Commitment to the principles of social justice;
- Commitment to the vision, values and objectives of VAHPA and the ability to promote those values and objectives;
- An understanding of and a commitment to the principles of organising;
- The ability to effectively engage and empower members, delegates and activists;
- Planning and organising skills, including the ability to develop, implement and evaluate Member Assist strategies;
- High-level written and verbal communication skills, including the ability to provide appropriate and adequate advice to members on grievances and undertake negotiations on behalf of members;
- Ability to recruit new members to the union;
- Demonstrated ability to work within a team environment and to work unsupervised;
- The ability to understand, interpret and analyse awards, enterprise agreements, legislation and other relevant documentation;
- An understanding of contemporary industrial relations issues; • Computer skills relevant to the position;
- A current Victorian (or equivalent) driver licence; and
- Eligibility to hold a Right of Entry Permit in accordance with the Fair Work Act 2009 or subsequent legislation.
Desirable Selection Criteria
- Experience working in the health sector;
- Experience in providing training for members and staff;
- Experience in enterprise bargaining negotiations and / or appearing in relevant industrial tribunals.
How to apply for this job
Applicants must address the Key Selection Criteria in their application.
Applications should be submitted by COB Friday 17 March 2017 via email to firstname.lastname@example.org, using the subject line: Member Assist Organiser.
VAHPA IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER.