ALLIED HEALTH ACTIVIST – FEBRUARY 7, 2019
IN THIS EDITION:
‣ New Community Health Agreement voted up
‣ Physiotherapists keep their Christmas break
‣ Esso Longford Dispute – 596 days going and (still) counting.
‣ Action Alert! Radiation Therapy Under Attack
Action Alert! Radiation Therapy Under Attack
The battle for the senior Radiation Therapy positions at Alfred Health continues on several fronts! The Alfred plan to replace senior Radiation Therapists with “operations managers” is one VAHPA continue to strenuously oppose.
VAHPA do not believe that this work can be done to an acceptable standard by generic managers with no experience and no relevant professional qualifications.
The current Radiation Therapy career structure was carefully crafted, after proper consideration, to meet the needs of patients and workers alike. There is no justifiable logic underpinning the change Alfred Health seeks to make.
Last Friday 8 February, as a response to Alfred Health not honouring their commitment to maintain the status quo, we had an urgent hearing before Commissioner Harper-Greenwell.
It is of great concern to us that we needed to seek the intervention of Fair Work to ensure that this element of our Agreement was not abided by, however, the hearing resulted in Alfred Health agreeing to provide the required undertaking in this regard.
Tomorrow, Wednesday 13 February, sees us back in the Fair Work Commission, this time with Commissioner Wilson for a conciliation. Whether this is a one-off or the first in a series, remains to be seen.
It is now time to demonstrate that these legal and industrial elements are matched by a strong and visible campaign at our workplaces.
On Wednesday 13 February at 12:30, we will be meeting at most of our Public Sector Radiation Therapy workplaces.
If you are at one of these sites please come along at lunchtime and demonstrate your support for your RT comrades.
This fight is not just about them, it’s about AHPs reclaiming our right to manage our own professions.
We need to demonstrate that when our career structures are under attack we will collectively stand up and fight back.
Lunchtime RT Events – All 12:30pm, Wed 13 February
- Alfred Hospital – Front of South Block
- Alfred Gippsland – Outside front of Radiation entry
- Austin Hospital – Outside front entrance of Olivia Newton John Centre
- Austin BAROC – Outside entrance on Sturt Street
- Barwon – Outside entrance of Andrew Love Cancer Centre
- Peter Mac VCCC – Outside front entrance, Grattan St
- Peter Mac Box Hill – Outside front entrance
- Peter Mac Moorabbin – Outside front entrance
- Peter Mac Sunshine – Outside front entrance
If you have any queries, please contact Linda Jenkin or Carly Bald on 1300 322 9187 or via email email@example.com